Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Who is Yamamurasaki Shikashi 山紫倂?


I bought a few cultural relics during my 2013 stay in Japan. One of them is a piece of painting in a wooden frame. I have no idea where it was hung in a Japanese house. It was painted and inscribed by a painter called Yamamurasaki Shikashi 山紫倂, if I am correct about the pronunciation. No information found so far. Don't understand the inscription well. He seems to be a literary man in the late Bakumatsu period. Japanese Confucian scholar Rai San’yō 頼山陽 (1780-1832)  named his study as "Place of Purple Mountain and Crystal Water" (Sanshi suimeisho 山紫水明処.  ) I don't know if this painter was a follower of Rai Sanyo. It is a proof that the Chinese-style literati way of living was still popular during that time. The term "Embroidered Litchi" 锦荔枝 is a Chinese euphemism for "Bitter Gourd" 苦瓜.






No comments:

Post a Comment