Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Fukushima Keido's 福島慶道 Seal of "Rinzai shoshu" 臨濟正宗

Seal of Fukushima Keido. All rights reserved
Many years ago, probably in 2001, I attended a lecture and calligraphy demonstration at Center for the Study of World Religions at Harvard University by the late Fukushima Keido 福島慶道 roshi, who was the head of Tofukuji 東福寺 in Kyoto. I asked him to impress his seals of "Rinzai shoshu" 臨濟正宗 on paper and took it as a souvenir with me. Yinyuan always claimed he was the true sect of Linji and I suspected he made the use of this phrase popular among Rinzai monks in Japan. I found the imprints of these two seals lately in my archive. After Fukushima roshi passed away, a memorial tower was built at Jingshan Monastery 徑山寺 in China. I visited there and wrote a blog before.
Fukushima Keido roshi memorial stele in Jingshan Temple 福島慶道長老功德碑

Seal of Fukushima Keido. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment